9.18.2009

June 10, 2009 to September 18, 2009

Yes, it has been a very, very long time since I wrote on this. I'm not sure why I stopped, but I do know that in the over three months that have passed, I believe I have become a different person: probably the person I should have become when I first started college.

I've always relied on comfortable. I've always known the people around me, the places around me, and I've pretty much coasted by through life. Of course, there were difficult times, stressful days, but for the most part I relied on others for my happiness, for my comfort.

Then I moved out to Santa Barbara, where I didn't have a job, where I didn't know anyone well, besides Wesley, who was there for seven days before he left for the Middle East for over a month. We're used to being apart, having been long-distance for three years, but we're also used to talking every day, numerous times a day. While he was gone, we talked on average once, maybe twice, a week, only via the Internet.

I knew Sarah, not incredibly well though, and we got a lot closer by living together. And as far as the job goes, it was definitely the most stressful part of the summer. I wanted a job at Anthropologie very badly, but felt a little discouraged that it was taking so long and that perhaps I didn't have the personality for it. Again, this was one of the more difficult points of the summer, because every job I've had previously I've gotten because of some kind of connection: with an employee or with the boss. This job was solely based on me, and I wasn't too confident. But I got it.

This summer may have been a risk, but I think it was a defining risk for me. I believe it was successful in ways that I haven't explored before. Of course, there were things that didn't go perfectly, but the parts that didn't go well taught me things and the parts that went better than I could have imagined only made me excited and wanting more.

My experience with amazing managers at Anthro and my management classes made me want to make a difference in other employees'. They were hard-working, friendly, creative, upbeat, and willing to help me learn more. Additionally, Anthro's view on sales and customer service are some that I am all for: focus on the customers, the women that shop there, and not on the dollar sales. I do realize, though, that as a manager, I would worry about the dollar sales, but I think the main basis for a successful retail company is to serve the customers first, which will ultimately add up to profits.

Also, I think that being a manager is kind of in my genes. My mom just started a job managing 20 or so people in Longview and she loves it. I think our personalities also fit the managing position well: desire to help, love of people, and a team-minded working perspective. Managers too many times just tell others what to do, because maybe they think that they're too busy or even that they're above the "petty" employee work. But I believe that you have to do what the employees do and more, you have to inspire the employees to work harder, and even move up within your company (from an Accounting/HR perspective, you'll reduce your turnover rate, and most likely get the most out of your labor hours).

I'm really meant to do this.



I don't know what this will turn into this semester. I got the idea of writing on here yesterday when I was in my Sociological Theory class. I'll probably turn my notes from there into something soon, it was very interesting. Plus, this may turn into following my journey into graduating from college, moving away again, and beyond, as well as a sociolocial "tirade" which is what I love: talking about what is important, talking about prevention in all aspects (family ties, education, as well as the political [though it shouldn't be] healthcare, etc.) Perhaps prevention isn't the right word, but maybe. I'll figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment